Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Woods, The City



My time in the woods can best be described as magical. My first night there, I took a moonlit bath, surrounded by forest. Second night, I participated in a sweat lodge, followed by jumping into the lake. Third night, I took a candlelit bath (the moon was hiding behind clouds). I spent my days reading, talking to people, solving sudoku (I fucking love logic), and otherwise existing. I left my cell phone on silent in my room. I didn't know what time it was, and I didn't particularly care. I peed in the woods (I highly recommend this for people with short urethrae) and shit in a bucket (here, you can learn more about that too!), and woke to the sound of a rooster crowing. Fucking rooster! He was all like, "Hey, it's four a.m., get your lazy ass out of bed," and I was like, "Go back to sleep, you fucking rooster! It's hours until sunrise!"

That aside, I had an amazing time, and I would definitely go back. Leaving, I felt bombarded with billboards and fast food. Then, I spent a bunch of hours on a greyhound! How is it that there is no comfortable way to sleep on a greyhound? No matter how you try, there is something digging into your back, or just a serious lack of lower back support.

And now I'm in Atlanta! I'm staying with my (new) friend Bert. Last night, we went to Sister Louisa's Church of the Living Room & Ping Pong Emporium, where we did church organ karaoke, complete with choir robes. I sang "Only the Good Die Young"--it seemed fitting, and I have to say, singing with organ music, and no TV screen--pretty tricky. Bert, however, has an amazing voice, and really killed MJ's "Black or White". After that, we came back home and stayed up late, drinking tea and talking. Now, I'm trying to get some trip planning in before I head out into the world and explore Atlanta a bit. It's, as always, a little overwhelming, and I feel a little homesick today. So, I'm in search of good coffee, and this evening, I plan to go to heavy metal yoga. At some point, I'm hoping to hook up with Hez from the Homostead, and spend a night or two there (more composting toilets, hurrah!). Although, the weather is dipping, and I hear it's cold at night there, so... maybe I'll just visit in the day time?

Next up (Sunday): Nashville!

2 comments:

  1. Roosters are assholes - good thing for them they're so handsome. Jealous of metal yoga - hope it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Metal yoga was fun! I would have made it a longer class, and maybe turned the volume down a wee bit--sometimes it was hard to hear the teacher--but I'm glad I went!

      Delete