So, I'm leaving LA tomorrow morning. I left Flagstaff Wednesday at 5a.m., got to LA around 5p.m. I spent Wednesday night with my old friend Bryana, who I last saw five years ago in San Diego, where we met up for coffee while I was there for work. Prior to that, the last time I saw her was probably June of 2005, when we graduated from college. We hung out, caught up, went out for dinner and drinks. We went to what was probably the darkest bar I've ever been in. I really felt like I ought to be making out with someone in a corner. Serious mood lighting. They had what we in Philly call a city-wide special (PBR and a shot of whiskey), except they called it a low life (ha), and charged slightly more, and the type of shot was up to you. Anyway, I never drink these in Philly, because I don't drink much, and I'm kind of a beer snob. But, I had one, and thought of Philly. Then I had a white Russian, and thought of The Dude, because I'm in LA.
This morning, we got up and went out for breakfast with Bryana's manfriend. Then we went to Venice beach, where I saw the canals, which were lovely, and surrounded by rich people's houses (I really wanted to steal one of their canoes, and row down the canal, but it wasn't really possible). We sat on the beach and looked at the ocean for a while, and then walked along the beach. We found a sand-dollar, some cool coral, and some shells, all of which I plan to give to my niece when I make it to Milwaukee. Saw some people surfing, some people skateboarding at a pretty awesome little skate park, and walked along the boardwalk long enough for me to have deja vu (all of these shops sell the same crap), then headed back to Bryana's. One thing of note in LA is the plethora of "exotic" flora. Birds of paradise, calla lilies, and other beautiful flowers grow all over the place.
Later this evening, I made my way from Bry's place to Julia's place. Julia is another old college friend, who I haven't seen for a similarly long period of time (almost five years). We talked and had dinner with Julia's bff, and it was a pretty lovely evening. Now it's 12:35a.m. on Friday, and I really ought to get to bed, because I'm getting up in the morning and heading to Oakland. Ah, more time spent on a bus. Maybe this bus will have wi-fi? One can hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment